You are beautiful. Because Jesus says so.


{home} - {about} - {ashen sky life}

Friday, February 19, 2010

Verse Of the Week

Hey you guys!
First off, I’d like to express how absolutely thankful I am to be writing on this blog! It’s such a blessing, and I hope to be able to bless others too.
Psalms 139 is absolutely my favorite chapter in the Bible…hands down. One year, I had to memorize it for school, and the impact of it really stuck out to me. I don’t think I’m going to put the whole Psalm down here, but if you’d like to read it in your Bible that’d be absolutely amazing! However I will hit my favorite parts of this chapter, because it changed my life.

Psalms 139: 1-4
O LORD, you have searched me
and you know me.
You know when I sit and when I rise;
you perceive my thoughts from afar.
You discern my going out and my lying down;
you are familiar with all my ways.
Before a word is on my tongue
you know it completely, O LORD.


This is just amazing to me! We all know God is seriously busy. As I write this there are exactly 6,986,427,230 living and breathing on this planet where we live. It’s hard to imagine that God knows everything about us when there are so many people in the world. But the awesome part is that He can! He knows exactly what we’re going through…He knows where we are at all times. He even knows our thoughts. And it just gets better.
Psalms 130: 5-10
You hem me in—behind and before;
you have laid your hand upon me.
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me,
too lofty for me to attain.
Where can I go from your Spirit?
Where can I flee from your presence?
If I go up to the heavens, you are there;
if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
If I rise on the wings of the dawn,
if I settle on the far side of the sea,
even there your hand will guide me,
your right hand will hold me fast.


Jonah tried fleeing from God. That got him absolutely nowhere-well, to be technical, it got him trapped in the belly of a whale. Charming, right? Basically, the above verse is telling us in a kind way, that we can never escape from God. Many have tried. All fail. God is there for us at all hours of the day, and we just can’t escape from a love like that!
Let’s skip down a bit to my favorite part!
Psalms 139: 13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.


Insecurity is a part of life! I don’t know one single girl that hasn’t woken up on an average morning, looked in the mirror and wished she could change something about herself. But this verse has really helped control my insecurities because, whether I like how I look or not, God created me just the way I am. Before the foundations of the world-before anything else came to be-He took thought for me, and designed me in His own image. He planned my whole life story, right then and there, at the very beginning. Ladies, I hope you read this verse, and no without a doubt, that God absolutely loves you just the way you are!

Lastly, let’s read the last two verses which I hope will help balance things out for you!
Psalms 139: 23-24
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.


So far, the verses I’ve highlighted, have talked about a one-sided relationship-all that God can give to us. But now, the whole Psalms is swapped, and turned into a prayer, asking God to search us and know our hearts, and to help us live Godly and holy lives. This is a prayer that I’ve begun to pray myself, every night before bed, searching myself and asking forgiveness for anything that may need to be addressed before I fall asleep! I hope you guys will try this too!

Overall, Psalms 139 captures God’s expansive love for us! He thinks we’re beautiful, He knows where we are every second of the day, He protects us, and He wants us to live holy lives before Him!
When you get the change, read the whole Psalms and enjoy!
Have a blessed day!

~Ashley H. 

No comments: