You are beautiful. Because Jesus says so.


{home} - {about} - {ashen sky life}

Friday, November 20, 2009

My Hiding Place

You are my hiding place; 


       you will protect me from trouble
       and surround me with songs of deliverance.
       Selah

- Psalm 32:7

Then the LORD will create over all of Mount Zion and over those who assemble there a cloud of smoke by day and a glow of flaming fire by night; over all the glory will be a canopy. It will be a shelter and shade from the heat of the day, and a refuge and hiding place from the storm and rain.
- Isaiah 4:5-6

Corrie ten Boom's faith really amazes and inspires me. I read her story not too long ago, and came away with a strong desire for faith like that. She was such a strong and faith-filled lady that I would have loved to meet.

You only have to read a brief biography of her life to gather that her life wasn't easy. She grew up the daughter of a clockmaker in Haarlem, Holland. When the Holocaust began, Corrie and her father and sister Betsie helped hide the Jews in their house. Sadly, they were betrayed, and Corrie and her family were taken to a concentration camp. Her father and Betsie both died during their imprisonment, but Corrie escaped ten months later with nothing short of a miracle. She then went on to speak to thousands of people about how "there is no pit so deep that God's love is not deeper still." (quote from Corrie)

When I read Corrie ten Boom's book, The Hiding Place, I was baffled by her joy and hope even in the midst of darkness. I couldn't understand it, until I realized something. "The hiding place" may refer to the secret room in the ten Booms' house that they used to hide the Jews, but I think that it also refers to the source of Corrie's hope as well - Jesus. When things were at their worst, Corrie still ran to her Heavenly Father, the only one who could be her refuge during that time. Corrie learned how to truly rely on God for everything, and how to hide under the shadow of His wings. Below is some of Psalm 91, a passage I thought was fitting.


He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High 
       will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. 


I will say of the LORD, "He is my refuge and my fortress, 
       my God, in whom I trust." ...


He will cover you with his feathers, 
       and under his wings you will find refuge; 
       his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.


  You will not fear the terror of night, 
       nor the arrow that flies by day,


nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, 
       nor the plague that destroys at midday....


 If you make the Most High your dwelling— 
       even the LORD, who is my refuge-


 then no harm will befall you, 
       no disaster will come near your tent.


For he will command his angels concerning you 
       to guard you in all your ways;


 they will lift you up in their hands, 
       so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.....


"Because he loves me," says the LORD, "I will rescue him; 
       I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.


He will call upon me, and I will answer him; 
       I will be with him in trouble, 
       I will deliver him and honor him.


 With long life will I satisfy him 
       and show him my salvation."


When things get tough, all we have to do is call on the name of the Lord. He's always listening, and always there to lift us out of any pit. I want to rely on His strength to carry me. No matter what lies ahead or how hard things are, He knows what will happen, and He is there to walk through it with us. He's our refuge, and He will always be our Hiding Place.

~Kylie

P.S. - I found this website interesting, because it contains photos of Corrie's home and Corrie herself. Check it out with your parents' permission! Click here.

No comments: